Informing Relevant Organisations

Everything You Need to Know

When someone dies, you will need to let your friends and family know along with any arrangements. However, there are also organisations you may need to inform. Here are some suggestions for who you might need to inform.

  • Banks/National Savings/building societies.
  • Insurance companies (e.g. life, buildings/contents, medical, car, travel).
  • Pension providers.
  • Credit card/store card providers.
  • Any other financial institutions must be informed so that any accounts solely in the deceased’s name can be frozen to prevent fraud. You should also inform companies/organisations with joint accounts, although these should normally still be accessible by the other joint holder.
  • Mortgage provider.
  • If the deceased lived in rented accommodation, inform the local authority, housing association or private landlord.
  • Buildings and property insurance companies to ensure continued cover especially if the property is left unoccupied.
  • Utility companies (electricity, gas, water and telephone) and arrange transfer of account details if necessary.
  • TV/internet companies.
  • Pensions Service or Jobcentre Plus to cancel any benefits to the deceased or their carer. To find out more, you can call us for advice and contact details.
  • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs to deal with tax and Child Benefit payments (if applicable).
  • Local government offices that provide services such as the Electoral Register, housing benefit, council tax office, bus pass, disabled parking permits, library membership.
  • The DVLA and the insurance company if the deceased owned a car or held a driving licence.
  • The Passport Agency.
  • Arrange redirection of post if necessary and reduce the burden of any unwanted mail by registering with the Bereavement Register.
  • Clubs/membership organisations/social groups.
  • If the deceased held a firearms licence for work and/or recreational purposes, please contact your local police station.